Tuesday, April 15, 2014

You can't lie about your fitness during a race.

I competed in a sprint triathlon last Saturday. It was just a practice for my first real race of the year in two weeks. When I looked at the results I was the most pleased with my swim and thought I would have done better and felt better on the bike and run. Even though it was just a sprint event, it's long enough that you just can't fake fitness.  The race I ran was as good as my fitness would allow me to run.  If I'm disatisfied, it should point towards changes I need to make in my preparation, my training.

I was happiest with the progress I have made this winter in swimming because I've put the most effort into swimming.  I can't bike like I did last year because I haven't been biking like I did last year.  It is all so ellusive and requires such a balancing act.  I guess that's part of why triathlon becomes such a challenge and so interesting.  I hope this helps some of you who might be reading this sort out some of your training decisions.  Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment